This guide to the Basic Set of Makeup Brushes is the key to making sure you have the right tools to apply, blend and set your makeup gorgeously!
- Foundation Brush – This brush is used to apply liquid foundation and can also be used to apply primer and moisturizer. It has stiff bristles and thus, is not used for buffing.
- Foundation Buffing Brush – this brush is particularly used to buff/stipple foundation. It creates a natural sheer finish, to avoid the foundation from looking layered up. Small circular motions with this brush do the job!
- Concealer Brush – used to apply cream and liquid concealer. The soft bristles let you apply the product seamlessly to camouflage uneven skin tones.
- Powder Brush – this big soft dome brush is used to apply powder, to set the foundation and concealer.
- Flat Eye shadow Brush – it’s used to apply eye shadow and pack coloured pigment or glitter on the eyelids.
- Eye shadow blending Brush – a key tool for perfect eye makeup. It blends the eye shadow, giving it a balanced finished look.
- Precision Brush – it is ideal to apply product in a precise area. E.g. To pop some colour on the inner-v of the eye or do to a bold crease line.
- Small Dome Brush – used to buff/blend product in smaller or narrower regions (under the eyes or around the nose)
- Angular Eyeliner Brush – this proves to be a saviour when you want your liner on fleek or even when you want to create a dramatic cat eye liner.
- Spoolie + Angled Brush – it is ideal to use this while doing your eyebrows. Be it brow framing, filling, or grooming, and setting.
- Soft Blush Brush – this fluffy brush is used to apply blush to the apple of the cheeks in a subtle manner so that it does not look overwhelming.
- Angular Contouring Brush – ideal to correct and sharpen facial features, this brush is used to contour the face.
- Small Buff Brush – this fluffy brush is used to apply a highlighter to the face. Applying a highlighter accentuates facial features and brightens the whole look overall.
- Lip Brush – this is a small fine tip brush, used to apply lip colour either from lip palettes or lipsticks. It’s easier to create a crisp cupid’s bow for your lips with a lip brush, since, it allows better precision!
Author: Heer Nayyar -Makeup Trainer and Artist, Hairstylist & Skin Therapist