Essential oils are the volatile essences of plants. They can be extracted from any plant’s flowers, bark, stem, leaves, roots, and sometimes its fruits. No matter the source, these oils are complex mixtures, often containing up to 60 different substances. Although essential oils have roots in ancient beauty rituals, their popularity continues to skyrocket—especially for those seeking natural skincare ingredients. Natural ingredients can be great for the skin!
- Grape seed Oil – Skin types – Oily, Acne-prone, Combination and Ageing. https://amzn.to/35Rfhvb
Contains powerful anti-oxidants, high amounts of polyunsaturated fats, vitamin E. It is one of the lightest non-greasy oils. It moisturizes the skin, reduces pimples and lightens blemishes and reduces visible fine lines.
2. Rosehip Oil – Skin types – Acne-prone and Ageing. https://amzn.to/31XcMpR
This oil is derived from the rose flower seed. It contains Vitamin C and E and Beta Carotene, a high concentration of Omega 3, 6, 7 and 9. It lightens pigmentation and rejuvenates skin cells. Soothes the skin and protects it from environmental damage. It has a plumping and moisturizing effect.
3. Argan Oil – Skin types – Dry, Sensitive and Normal. https://amzn.to/34FUKKm
This is considered one of the best oils in the world. Its lightweight texture quickly absorbs into the skin. It’s a rich source of Vitamin E. It’s a favorite of Haircare professionals too.
4. Jojoba Oil – Skin types – Oily and Combination. https://amzn.to/3jLkIk2
The liquid that is produced from the seeds of the Simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) plant and is actually a wax, but appears as oil. It’s a light feeling oil but deeply hydrating and full of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals that are integral to the health of your skin. It has anti-bacterial properties and is non – comedogenic i.e. does not clog pores.
5. Hazelnut Oil – Skin types – Sensitive and Ageing. https://amzn.to/2JcvDGO
The high vitamin E and fatty acid content in hazelnut oil can help increase hydration in the outermost layer of the skin. By keeping skin hydrated, vitamin E also helps improve skin elasticity, making it look firm and supple.
6. Palmarosa Oil – Skin types – Acne prone and Sensitive. https://amzn.to/2HNtZv4
Popular for its hydrating properties and prevention of inflammation and quelling dehydration. It also balances the sebum (oil) production of your skin, helps cure acne breakouts and aids in the healing of cuts and bruises.
7. Almond Oil – Skin types – Dry and Sensitive. https://amzn.to/34GUHhF
It’s an anti-inflammatory. Due to its emollient properties, almond oil has the potential to improve both complexion and skin tone. Treats dry skin, hydrates makes skin smooth.
8. Tamanu Oil – Skin types – Acne-prone and Ageing. https://amzn.to/3jFbB4w
It lightens blemishes, reduces stretch marks and fine lines and softens the skin. It is an active ingredient used in many skin care products, including anti-ageing creams. The oil is rich in fatty acids, which can help keep skin moisturized. It also contains antioxidants, which fight against damage from free radicals.
9. Moringa Oil – Skin types – Sensitive and Ageing. https://amzn.to/37UTk0Q
As an essential oil, moringa has benefits for moisturizing and cleansing the skin. This oil is absorbed very easily by the skin and helps the cells to rejuvenate. The natural vitamin C boosts collagen, helping reduce fine lines, wrinkles and sagging skin.
10. Tea Tree Oil – Skin types – Oily and Acne prone. https://amzn.to/2Gcuo9D
This is a popular choice for treating acne because of its anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. Tea tree oil decreases sebum secretion and suppresses the growth of acne-causing bacteria. Combining it with aloe vera gel increases its anti-acne activity. It’s thought to calm redness, swelling, and inflammation. It may even help to prevent and reduce acne scars, leaving you with smooth, clear skin.
11. Pomegranate Oil – Skin type – Acne-prone and Ageing https://amzn.to/3kVdZ8N
The high antioxidant content of Pomegranate Oil helps prevent damage caused by free radicals, which causes the skin to wrinkle and thicken. For those suffering from skin conditions such as acne, it offers hydration that relieves the discomfort.
12. Camellia Oil – Skin types – Dry, Ageing and Normal. https://amzn.to/3kNWYgI
This oil is a rich source of Omega 6 linoleic fatty acids and ample anti-aging polyphenol anti–oxidants. It is the secret to firm and flawless skin. It helps retain the skin’s natural moisture.
13. Avocado Oil – Skin types – Sensitive, Ageing and Dry. https://amzn.to/35IHVOS https://amzn.to/35IHVOS
This wonder oil contains vitamins A, B, D, Proteins and Beta Carotene. It calms itchy skin, heals chapped skin, replenishes dry skin, hydrate and moisturizes skin, shields skin from UV rays, protect against skin damage and helps your skin stay smooth, firm and maintains elasticity.
14. Marula Oil – Skin types – Dry and Combination. https://amzn.to/3kCS4mq
It’s a light weight and antioxidant-rich oil that hails from the nuts and kernels found in marula trees. It consists of Oleic acid, linoleic acid, flavanoids and glutamic acid. It is a non- greasy oil that penetrates into the skin quickly and nourishes it immensely.
15. Aloe Vera – Skin types – Oily, Acne-prone and Sensitive. https://amzn.to/3mEwPB8
When you combine aloe extracts with oil, you get aloe vera oil. You could use mineral oil, soybean oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, or coconut oil. Aloe vera oil moisturizes and protects your skin. The antibacterial activity of aloe gel helps treat chronic and highly inflamed cases as well. Using aloe oil made from tea tree oil and aloe vera gel can heal acne.
Author: Heer Nayyar -Makeup Trainer and Artist, Hairstylist & Skin Therapist